Thursday, October 25, 2007

Civil Rights Museum

I just read this Letter to the Editor in the News & Record. I don't know all the facts about the museum but I do know I have lived downtown for 2.5 years and it does not appear that much progress has been made. I have heard rumor of funds being misused as well as other things that I can only call rumor. I think it is time for the City to tell these guys to, "finish the project or step aside." Think of downtown like a neighborhood... if someone was building a house next door to your home and it took this long how would you feel? The building that is being turned into Center Pointe (downtown Greensboro) has been completely stripped down and almost looks like new on the outside... and that has taken all of a year or so to do? If "step aside" is not the right statement, "ask for help" should be.

According to the museum Web site the project will cost close to $19 million.

2 comments:

Sidney C. Gray said...

Proposed Civil Rights Museum:

I would encourage the donation of the Woolworth’s Building to the City of Greensboro as part of our Historical Museum System. The historical importance of what happened on February 1, 1960 warrants recognition that is inclusive for all of Greensboro. The creation of an entirely new museum veers away from the historical event that took place at the lunch counter and siphons off much needed money to bring this building up to current code. While I support applying for grant money with the National Trust Community Investment Corporation and other private sources, I have to respect the voters’ position in the last bond referendum and not allocate additional city revenues for this project. I do not believe that the museum as proposed will be self supporting and in the future the citizens of Greensboro will be asked on an annual basis for money to sustain this project.

P.S. The Woolworth Building has two floors with a basement and a projected cost of 19 or 20 million dollars. The Centre Point Building (old Wachovia Building) has 17 floors with a projected cost of 40 million.

The Daily 411 said...

Good comments Sidney. Thanks for reading.