Tuesday, October 23, 2007

At Large Candidate Sandra Anderson Groat Opens Up

I emailed Sandra and asked her two simple questions. Why shoudl someone in the 25 - 35 demo vote for you and if you were not running for At Large, who would you vote for. Her answers are below.

"Integrity and independence are timeless. I have behaved in that manner during my first term on Council. I want to be the people's Councilperson. For the most part, we all want the same things for our lives - good job, good home, a safe and healthy community, recreation opportunities for all ages and family types, and a great place to grow up, marry, and raise a family. I understand family. I have 4 stepchildren and two children (and some sons and daughters in law) in this age group. I also have a 13 year old son and 4 grandchildren from 12 to 3. I know what they want and need in their lives. And I know that I can work for those things as I have been doing this first term.

Those top things are elected officials that you can trust, economic development providing more jobs and opportunities for advancement in life, trust in the public safety in our community. Elected officials should be open and available to the public. I will work to start the news conferences that we voted on and trained for that never materialized. I am well aware of the issues of crime and gangs in our community that must be dealth with. Four of the gang related shootings were within 2 miles of my office. Unfortunately, I am afraid that this issue is something that we are Reactive to instead of being Proactive.I can ask and answer hard questions. I can take responsibility for what I say and do. I am more interested in being a good public servant than I am in political correctness. I will work to restore public trust in our elected officials and believe that this can only be done through transparency. I will hold town meetings or work in any setting to listen to the taxpayers...they are the ones paying the bills --- they are my bosses.

Finally, one good thing in being older is I have listened and learned about life on the way, and I have some wisdom. I trust my ability to make the very best decisions that I can for the good of you 25 -35 year olds. You add a lot of excitement and fun and contribute to our City in many ways. THAT IS WHY I FEEL CONFIDENT IN ASKING FOR YOUR VOTE.

Who I would vote for in the at-large race if I weren't running is a hard question. It may not yet be her time, but Marikay from Mahi's ( I can't spell her last name) seems straight forward and honest with no agenda other than public service. It is difficult to identify candidates that have true motive. I hope these answers aren't too long. VOTE FOR ME! Thanks for giving me this opportunity."

No comments: